Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Ramrod The Destroyer

Make no mistakes, Ram are pure unadulterated 80's Metal worship. The leather, studs, and screaming voice conjure up images of Judas Priest...and putting on a Ram album is like a time warp back to the golden days when Metal ruled.

When I heard that the new Ram album was to be called "Rod"...as in ramrod (ugh...how corny and lame is that?)...I was disappointed, and set my expectations low. Checking the video for the song On Wings Of No Return, set me straight, and I was soon headbanging like a maniac. Man, Ram know how to get the Metal blood boiling.

Before I listened to the record, I'd read some initial reviews that weren't overly positive. Comparisons were made to the band's killer album from 2015, Svbversvm, and most reviews felt that Rod fell short. The album does come ripping out of the gates though, and the first side of this record does not let up with it's unrelenting Metal attack. Side two consists of one epic song, Ramrod The Destroyer, broken out into six parts, and we kind of pump the brakes a few times as some interludes try to set the mood. It's cool I guess, but compared to side one, it does leave me a little underwhelmed by the end of the record. Still, this is a great Metal album, and it will be fun trying to see where it falls into my Top 10 for 2017 list.

Hand numbered and limited to 100 on transparent orange colored vinyl.

No comments: