Saturday, December 02, 2017

Dio-cember: Part 2 - Lock Up The Wolves

Once I picked up that Chasing Rainbows live album, it got me thinking about those few studio albums from Dio that I was still missing on vinyl. I obviously had the classic early albums already covered, but those records released during Metal's turbulent ride through the 90's, were still some big holes in the collection that I needed to address.

When Lock Up The Wolves was released in the Summer of 1990, I was starting to get into Hardcore, and I was becoming kind of a self righteous prick about it by looking down my nose at some of the Metal bands that I'd cherished as a kid. Hardcore was really speaking to me, and I had no time for anything else. I took one look at the Wild One video from Lock Up The Wolves, with the skateboarding and slamdancing, and I passed immediate judgement that it was poser bullshit that was trying too hard to be heavy and relevant...and I turned my back on it. I was a stupid asshole kid.

Ten years later, I was starting to get interested in Metal again, and I downloaded the Lock Up The Wolves album off Napster or something similar, and I kind of enjoyed it and would give it an occasional spin. These days, I absolutely love this album, and when it is playing, I feel that I will fight anyone that has anything bad to say about it. Easily my most listened to Dio album over the past ten years. Why did it take me so long to finally grab a copy on vinyl?

No comments: