Friday, October 13, 2017

'87 Talks, And I Listen

My final post from the fallout of my 1987 obsession.

For a straight month, I did nothing buy listen to albums from 1987. Very little else mattered to me, as I worked through everything in my collection from that year. I made lists, ranking everything...and then I'd go back and spin my favorites again and again...tweaking my list like some crazy science experiment where I needed everything measured and mixed in the proper order. This shit was serious business.

Along the way, I committed myself to making a decent run at my Top 10 Metal and Crossover albums from '87. My collection was pitiful, and I wanted to take this opportunity to fill some big holes. As I was winding down in my spending spree, I knew that I had to make one last move to knock off one of my big targets.

Cryptic Slaughter's Money Talks album was hugely influential to me when I bought the CD as an angry and awkward teen. I didn't even know what Straight Edge was at the time, but already songs like Wake Up ("Smoke and drink just to be cool, Can't you see you're just another fool") were planting seeds that would take root for lifetime mindset. Cryptic Slaughter nailed it lyrically...from politics to positivity...and Money Talks really made me think about who I wanted to be, and what I wanted to stand against.

Buying this album to cap off this obsession was a must. I was hoping for a copy with the hype sticker still attached, but I'll settle for this one in excellent condition.

No comments: