Sunday, March 26, 2017

Why Play Around?

Buying the vinyl for Killing Is My Business a few weeks ago, kind of put me on an 80's Thrash bender. When these kind of things happen, you've just got to roll with it, and fill some holes in the record collection along the way.

As I was enjoying my Thrash obsession, I came across the first Wargasm album in my playlist for 1988. I've been looking to pick this up on vinyl for years, and everything fell into place to make it happen this time around.

I was a late bloomer when it came to going to see live shows. Yeah, I'd been to big ticket concerts as a teen, but when it came to smaller, underground bands, I didn't start getting out until I was nineteen. Once I graduated from High School, and got brave enough to make the two hour trip to the big city of Boston, a whole new world of live music opened up to me. Making that first trip with some friends to see Testament at The Channel for the Practice What You Preach tour got me hooked, and soon I was travelling to Boston or Providence two or three times a month to see a show. Often times, I would make the three hour drive to Providence by myself...popping No-Doz and chugging Jolt Cola for the drive home...not hitting the pillow until 3:00 in the morning. I was a fiend.

All of this is just a long winded way of saying that one of those early shows I remember driving to Providence for was to see Wargasm and Meliah Rage play at The Living Room. After discovering the live Metal scene, I only stuck around for about a year...basically catching any show that I could during 1900...before getting sucked into Hardcore shows with Agnostic Front, Slapshot and Sick Of It All. Once that happened, Metal was in my rearview mirror. Because it was such a short period of time, man, I look back at those Metal shows as something really special.

So glad to finally add this underrated classic to the collection.

No comments: