Friday, March 04, 2016

Heavy Metal Hagar

Outside of the first Montrose album, I've never had any use for Sammy Hagar. Okay...so maybe going to see Hagar on the VOA tour in '84 was my first concert, but honestly, all I knew from him at the time was that I Can't Drive 55 song...plus I was only 13/14 years old, and as a kid that grew up watching The A-Team and Chuck Norris films, you'll have to forgive me for thinking that Sammy was cool as shit in that video.

Months later, I recognized that mid-80's Hagar for the full on cheese that it was, and quickly moved on...writing him off as a jock rock joke. He wasn't serious Metal, and I had no time for the likes of him.

I was kicking around online recently, and ended up on Beastmaker's Facebook page. They had a new 7 inch due out on Rise Above Records, so I was looking to check them out. While I was there, I noticed that they posted a video for a Sammy Hagar song called Satisfied, mentioning that the father of one of the guys played with Hagar at the time. Being a little curious, I checked it out...and much to my surprise, I loved it. I played that song three or four times, astonished with how much I enjoyed it. Immediately, I knew that I needed to track down the vinyl.

As an exclusive b-side to Hagar's Heavy Metal single, and pressed only in the UK, I quickly hit up the discogs marketplace for a copy.

Goddamn it. I bought this for Satisfied, but I ended up really enjoying all three songs on this single. This has such an awesome summertime vibe. Don't tell me that I'm going to have to check out some of Sammy's earlier albums.

No comments: