Sunday, February 21, 2016

Kennedys Über Alles

After picking up that 7 inch from The Exploited a couple weeks ago, I was burning for some more punk vinyl. I must have spent a week or so wringing my hands and sweating over what I was going to pick up next. I was bouncing from eBay to discogs...looking at prices for at least a dozen different records, before settling on the first Dead Kennedys record, Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables.

A few years ago, I remember seeing a picture of an orange cover for the Fresh Fruit LP on Vinyl Noize. All I'd ever seen was the black and white cover, so this orange one caught my attention. I don't really know a whole lot about Dead Kennedys pressing info, but after seeing that post on VN, and learning that the orange cover was the first US pressing on IRS Records, I knew that when I finally made a move to buy this album on vinyl, it would be this one...regardless of if Jello despised this pressing or not.

After picking up this copy, I started to dig into all the pressing info. Man, there are so many variations of this record...with the original photo on the back, or the one with the heads missing, or the one with the picture missing and the "Censored" message, or the rest home photo...plus the colored vinyl options. Damn, it all has me thinking of buying multiple copies of this record.

Whoa. Slow down. Maybe I should concentrate on all the other punk records I want, before thinking about chasing variations.

Dead Kennedys records aren't complete without a giant fold out insert!

3 comments:

mcs said...

Man, my DK collection is so weak. I have the LPs, but no idea what pressings I have. Just the standard ones that were available in '91/'92, aside from some weird colour pressing of one of them which is from some weird country or other. This post makes me want to figure out what's what and make a move to finally upgrade a couple of them.

Mike said...

Yeah, checked my In God We Trust record that I bought back in the mid-80's, and discovered it was a French pressing. How the hell did some kid in the States end up with a French pressing of that record?

J@screamingforrecords said...

Have never seen this cover before