Thursday, July 31, 2014

Jailbreak Vertigo

A glimpse into my train of thought while record collecting:

"Must focus and get a complete collection of the original Megaforce silver label pressings on vinyl. Nothing else is important. My full attention is spent searching for these records, and I will not be diverted from my the task at hand. Oh wait, those UK Vertigo pressings of Thin Lizzy look fucking ace..."

Back in 2007, I picked up my first piece of Thin Lizzy vinyl. I'd just started to really like the band, and in my haste I grabbed a US pressing on Mercury when I was shopping in Boston. I was pretty happy with my purchase until I discovered that the first pressing on Vertigo came in a gatefold sleeve, while the US pressing did not. I didn't really do a lot of homework on pressing info for Rock and Metal albums back then, and I just bought whatever was convenient and available. Amateur hour. 7 years later, I've corrected the failure of my original purchase.

When a UK Vertigo pressing is an option, that is really the only way to go. You can't lose with a Vertigo swirl or Vertigo UFO label. It doesn't get much cooler than that.

Full sleeve artwork for inside of the diecut gatefold cover. Tonight there's going to be a jailbreak...

No comments: