Friday, December 27, 2013

Black Holes and Bleach

Over the summer, Fat Sandwich Records put up preorders for the new Enough record. I'd never heard of the label before, and didn't recognize any of the bands on their roster, so I grabbed my Enough records and got out.

When I received my Enough records, I found that Fat Sandwich had thrown in a free record from Cannomen. Nope...never heard of them, and I didn't care. The record didn't fit the look of what I would be interested in, so I promptly tossed it aside and ignored it.

A couple months later, I was getting ready to write up the blog post for Enough, and I decided to throw on the Cannomen record...fully prepared to toss it out, but willing to give it one listen to confirm that I didn't like it as much as I expected. The needle catches that groove and a manic bass line starts thumping out of the speakers, and then things erupt into punk rock chaos. Holy shit. At times I'm reminded of The Yah Mos, and sometimes I hear Agent Orange. By the time we hit the dead wax of the B side, I've decided that this thing fucking rules, and I need to head back to Fat Sandwich to pick up the second 7 inch from Cannomen.

The second 7 inch from Cannomen, follows the same formula as the first, but there is something about this one that makes me appreciate it more. I can't quite put my finger on what it is though.

300 pressed on this mixed purple vinyl.

No comments: