Sunday, November 03, 2013

Varsity / Bloodpact Split LP

A while back, when I was picking up the Culture LP, I also had my eye on a few other records that the seller had available. One of them was the blue vinyl pressing of the first Chokehold album, but sadly, that one got away from me. Another one that I was interested in checking out was the Varsity/Bloodpact split LP.

Back in the late 90's, I remember hearing the name Varsity thrown around every once in a while. Somehow though, I'd never seen that they'd released anything. When I saw this split LP, I was very interested in checking it out.

Well, they sound exactly as you'd expect a Hardcore band named Varsity to sound...basic Youth Crew influenced sound. I can dig it.

The Bloodpact side of this split is a bit more raw and chaotic...definitely inspired by that last Chokehold record. I had trouble sitting through the whole side on the first listen, but after a couple more listens, I know what to expect and can tolerate it a bit better. Not particularly exciting for me, but it's okay if you like this kind of style.

Apparently there are over 338 of these pressed on purple vinyl. 100 were sold through the label and had a "+/- Records" stamp on the label, while 100 of them had "Varsity" stamped on the Varsity labels, and "Bloodpact" stamped on the Bloodpact labels...the remaining 38 have no stamp. Looks like I got one of the copies that went to Bloodpact.

1 comment:

mcs said...

I have this. I also have a Varsity 7" on limited pink vinyl. I have no real memory of either.