Wednesday, November 06, 2013

The Doors: Live At The Bowl '68

Sometimes I find myself in a Doors kind of mood. It isn't one that passes with a casual spin of Strange Days either. No. It worms it's way into my brain, and it stays with me until I've worked through their entire discography.

While on one of those Doors trips, I discovered a couple live albums in the vinyl bin at my local record store. I knew that I was going to have to leave with one of them, and chose the classic Live At The Bowl double LP that was finally pressed on vinyl last year.

The sound on this blows me away. Everything is so crisp and clear. Even the voices from the audience, as they interact with Morrison or shout out the songs they want to hear...it really makes you feel as if you are right there in the crowd with them. And man, that guitar sound from Robby Krieger...mother fuck, that shit could get heavy.

It's funny...I couldn't have cared less about this band while I was growing up. I finally approached them with an open mind about 6 to 7 years ago, after being introduced to Krieger's amazing guitar tone, and now I can't seem to get enough of them. I guess I'm getting old.

5 comments:

Pim said...

Gotta love the Doors. Great band.

Doug W said...

Damn. I didn't even know there was an Elektra anymore.
Great post. Great band!

Enough time has passed that I can listen to them again withour thinking of Val Kilmer.

Mike said...

You mean, Ice Man wasn't a good frontman for The Doors?

Rick Smith said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xillqqt0Y0

Mike said...

ha ha ha...that Kids in the Hall skit is too funny. "Greatest hits albums are for housewives and little girls".