Monday, November 25, 2013

Headfirst To Last

A few years ago, I went a little overboard with the Underdog double LP discography that Bridge Nine released, and I ended up buying three different pressings. At the time, I was still in a mindset where if I bought a record, I needed to buy every available copy of the record. What can I say? I was still a little overzealous, and apparently had too much money lying around that I could throw at these things.

To this day, Marcus still teases me mercilessly over it. I've calmed down a bit since that experience, and I try not to throw money around so frivolously. Seriously, there are more important records to buy than repressings and multiple copies of discographies. I've learned my lesson, and tend to have a bit more of a conservative approach to these things.

Back when I really started to get into Hardcore around 1990, Headfirst's Back In Control 7 inch was one of the first records that I picked up. When I heard that Indecision Records was doing a discography for the band, I was thrilled that Headfirst was going to get some exposure to today's kids.

There were two things that got me interested in buying the discography. First, there was just one colored vinyl pressing for this triple LP, so there was no chance that I was going to get stupid, buying multiple copies. Second, between a couple of unreleased songs, and two demo recordings, there were a bunch of songs on here that I'd never heard before. Solid. I'm sold on it.

The band's second demo sounds great, and is in the same vein as the Back In Control record, but man, that first demo is a tough listen. I'm glad that it was included to truly document the band's discography, but the production is pretty bad...even for a demo.

Overall, this is a great discography, and I hope that more kids check out this underrated band from the early 90's.

No comments: