Friday, June 28, 2013

Night Birds For The Masses

The Night Birds released one of my favorite surpises of 2011 with their The Other Side Of Darkness LP, and then catching them live in 2012 turned out to be one of my favorite shows in a long time. With a new album just around the corner, the expectations are already set pretty high.

Fat Wreck Chords deliver a 7 inch single as a tease for the new album. The songs are still high energy, with that same Dead Kennedy's/surf guitar sound...hell, Boat Trash sounds like it would fit in nicely on Agent Orange's first album...great early 80's manic punk sound. Because I'm familiar with Night Birds, the element of surprise is gone, and Maimed For The Masses doesn't knock me on my ass like The Other Side Of Darkness did a year or so ago...but make no mistakes, this record is still a blast to spin.

There was a limited pressing on 70 gram vinyl that came with a different sticker on the front cover. Who cares? The regular edition, with the black and white sticker, suits me just fine.

No comments: