Thursday, July 05, 2012

Stranglah's Gonna Make You Pay

Boston Strangler's Primitive LP. In all my years of collecting records, I've never seen a new release that was more difficult to obtain. You couldn't buy the record directly from the label, Fun With Smack. If you wanted a copy, you had to either see the band live, or pick it up from an online distro. The only problem was that there wasn't a distro around that could keep it in stock for more than 20 seconds. With the record in such high demand, greedy kids started trying to flip the vinyl through eBay to desperate kids that wanted a copy. As badly as I wanted a copy, I refused to play the eBay game. Since the label had promised that more vinyl would be pressed, I chose to bide my time, and wait out the storm.

While I had downloaded the album back in January, it wasn't until May that I was finally able to place an order for a copy. When I was checking Facebook one day, I noticed that Painkiller Records had posted that they had some copies of the Boston Strangler LP available in their webstore. Within seconds, I had added the LP to my cart and checked out. A few hours later, it was once again sold out.

Primitive is easily the best album to be released this year. Influenced by the early 80's Boston Hardcore scene, it doesn't get any better than this.


No comments: