Monday, June 18, 2012

I'm Not Of This Earth

I can't seem to get caught up with this blog. I've been banging out a high number of post counts each month, and I'm still around 25 posts behind. Still, I guess too many records is a good problem to have. The new Fire & Ice vinyl as been on my shelf for a while now...Hell, even Marcus beat me to the post by a month, so you can see how far behind I still am.

The new Fire & Ice has been one of the more anticipated releases, for me, this year. I've been all over this band since the end of 2010, and looking to collect their vinyl since hearing their first two 7 inches. I had some high hopes for Not Of This Earth, and didn't hesitate to order the three record package deal. Weeks later, Reaper was offering these packages at a discount. Damn. Are Fire & Ice not as "hot" as I believe them to be?

First off, let me say that the album cover is head and shoulders above what we saw with Gods & Devils and Grim. The cover art for Not Of This Earth is finally a good representation of the quality of songs that Fire & Ice produce...and man, they truly deliver and meet expectations with this LP. It took a few spins to start to sink in and for me to appreciate, but once it got a hold on me, it did not let go.

When Reaper released the last Take Offense 12 inch, they had the black vinyl as the most limited pressing. Since labels usually make black vinyl the most common pressing, I was surprised. Once again, Reaper keep the black vinyl limited for the Fire & Ice release as well. 300 pressed on black, 700 pressed on blue, and 1,000 on white.

5 comments:

mcs said...

An apt day to post about this record, as today I finally realised why this album seems too short for my bike rides. It would seem that in transferring the songs to my iphone, somehow I only picked up the first 8 songs. Today I discovered that this LP actually has 12 songs. Ha!

Mike said...

Too funny. Four bonus songs!

Across Your Face said...

The more I keep seeing everyone that got all three colors, really makes me want to get the rest. I just got the black and I always feel so shitty when the most limited copy is on black. My brain says "limited" but my heart says "boring"

mcs said...

Yeah, it's like a new Fire & Ice 7" came out today, just for me!

J@screamingforrecords said...

This really is great. I posted about it too early and really under played it. That's pretty funny Marcus and yeah AYF Im not too bothered about the black version but really wouldn't mind adding the white version to my blue copy. No idea why I only ordered one, I knew this would happen.