Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Latest From REACT!: Part 1 - The Yawn

I've been buying every REACT! Records release, on every pressing that I can get my hands on, since Aram started the label back in 2008. Last year, something strange happened...I bailed on one of their releases...the Skin Like Iron LP. Although I desperately tried to get into the band, and get wrapped up in the hype, I wasn't feeling it and didn't order a single copy. After years of dedication, it was an odd feeling to not buy one of the releases from one of my favorite Hardcore record labels. After that Skin Like Iron LP, I was back on board and ordering every color pressing of every vinyl release REACT! put up in the store. This included a $70 pre-order for four different records that were on the way. 6 to 7 months later the box finally lands on my doorstep, and I'm feeling a little underwhelmed with two of the four releases. That isn't a knock on either of the two records...they just fail to move me.

I was looking forward to the new Damages LP. I enjoyed their first two 7 inches, but I guess moving from 2 song EPs to a 10 song LP was too much for me. They nail the mid-90's Ebullition sound, and while I would expect to dig this, to be honest, I'm struggling. There is some cool stuff going on with some of these songs, but by the end of the album I'm just glad that it is finally over. Sigh.
100 on orange vinyl.


In true 90's Ebullition style, the packaging on this album is first rate, including a newsprint booklet with one full page dedicated to the lyrics for each of the songs.

150 pressed on brown vinyl.


REACT! put forth some creative packaging on this one, with a square cutout on the front cover to view one of the many photos on the record dust sleeve. Very nice. Oh yeah, thanks for the crushed corners, Hellfish. Nice job packaging and mailing these. *rolls eyes*

250 on black vinyl.

The second record from REACT! that I was looking forward to, but ended up struggling through was the 7 inch for Fell To Low. I didn't know anything about this band when I placed my order, and even REACT!'s description was kind of vague, but hey, I took a chance. I don't know, I guess I was expecting something on the quirky side of 90's punk...maybe something like The Hal Al Shedad. The first song shows a bit of promise, but flip it over and the b side just drags.

150 pressed on clear vinyl.


White vinyl was limited to 100.

250 on black vinyl.

Like I said, I can see some people loving this shit, but it just isn't for me. I may give it a spin now and then, but for the most part, I expect this to be largely ignored in my collection. Thankfully REACT! released two other records that will see plenty of playing time on my stereo. More on that in a couple of days with Part Two.

No comments: