Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Ceremony Zoo

Each time Ceremony releases a new album, I always have the same reaction..."Yeah, it's okay, but not nearly as good as their last one". I'm always slow to warm up to their new stuff, but as the months progress, I enjoy them more and more until I'm claiming that the new record is my favorite Ceremony album.

Time will tell if that is the case with the newest Ceremony album, Zoo. Word on the street was that the band was moving away from their Hardcore roots completely, and going in a more early 80's punk direction. After hearing their 6 Cover Songs EP, I was really looking forward to what they would deliver with Zoo. After listening to Zoo for a few weeks, I find myself in the same place...thinking that the new album falls a little flat. Sure there are some really great songs on the new LP, but there are also a few that just drag the whole thing down. By the time the album has finished playing, I have no desire to immediately give it another spin.

I was originally under the impression that Matador Records had only pressed this on clear and black vinyl. Of course the clear vinyl sold out quickly, so I figured that I'd just pick up a copy locally...no surprise that I ended up with black vinyl. I've since learned that they also pressed Zoo on green as well as blue vinyl. Oh well, I don't feel the need to get multiple copies of this one, so black will have to do.

Now, I had never seen Ceremony live. Over the years, I've heard all kinds of hype around their live shows, so when I heard that Night Birds and Sweet Jesus were playing with Ceremony in Boston on 4/20, I figured that I'd check it out. Believe me when I say that Ceremony lived up to the hype. You know how some bands will play a song and kids will pile onto the stage and go nuts? Ceremony's set was like that from the opening of Hysteria, through the end of the show with Kersed. The singer stood directly in front of the drum kit, and he just got pummeled by kids all night. It was intense. I left that show with a deeper appreciation of the band, and I'm looking forward to giving Zoo another spin.

3 comments:

Across Your Face said...

I don't think they pressed it on clear, I think it was 300/red (pre order) 300/blue (record release shows) and 600/green (record stores)

mcs said...

Yeah, he's right. No clear.

Show photos look great. Glad you enjoyed them. I'd love to see them again one day...

Mike said...

oh...I was thinking the pre-order was on clear. I guess I didn't pay too close attention since I wasn't getting one.