Tuesday, April 17, 2012

CAMPAIgN

When I picked up one of those Bad Trip 7 inches that I wrote about a few posts back, I did a quick search of what else the seller had available. There was a copy of the CAMPAIgN 7 inch with a screen printed cover that caught my eye. I'd never seen one before, and for a little over $3.00 it was mine.

CAMPAIgN came together around 1992/1993...at the height of the Ebullition style of Hardcore. While I kind of grew up in this era of Hardcore, these days, I tend to talk shit on the music from those days. It was frustrating trying to live up to a perfect standard of what some people felt Punk Rock should be. By 1995 everything was turning to shit...the music sucked, and everything was so serious all the time. I've got stacks of records from this period that I'll never listen to again. Then there are bands like CAMPAIgN...and while they certainly fit that ultra-serious vibe that was prevalent at the time, they also remind me that there were some amazing bands from those days.

This screened cover for the Numb 7 inch is for the second pressing.

Chris Jensen from Mountain Records includes a note, explaining why he did this pressing. The last sentence kills me.

"Anyone who would buy the second press just because it is slightly different than the first should consider donating to charity more often."

Jeez...always so serious about everything. Can't I just spend my money on something that I enjoy? Do I have to be uptight about the injustices and oppression of this world every second of every day? Can't I just relax? Damn.

For those of you that donate all your extra cash to charities, but want to see the two pressings side by side, here you go.

1 comment:

Mark-Sandwell said...

I remember hearing this 7" at the time at a mate's but never owned a copy. Yeah, even though I liked some of that stuff, the whole ebulition style hardcore was too self righteous and up it's own ass for me. Plus Kent McClrd used to change his opinions like the weather anyway. I remember him sticking a militant sXe rant on the cover of one of his zines then about a year later he brought out that 'xxx-some ideas are poisonous' comp. Talk about about a U-turn.