Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Golden Answer

The early 2000's were a strange time for me musically. While I still loved Hardcore, I was desperately searching for new musical styles. I was listening to a lot of Hip Hop, some healthy doses of Slipknot and Limp Bizkit, as well as some swing bands like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. Access to free music via Napster and then WinMX and Soulseek, kicked off a kind of musical experimentation, and I was willing to try just about anything. Looking back now, I wasted a lot of time on music that I was interested in mainly because it was free and available. I downloaded hundreds of CDs that I could give a shit about today, and most of them ended up in the trash as the years ticked by. Add in the fact that I was only buying CD's at the time, and it is no surprise that I missed out on some great Hardcore bands of the time like The Answer.

I finally caught up to The Answer around 2009, picking up their second 7 inch on Aram's pre-REACT! label, Anchor Records. At this point, I can't remember what prompted me to check out the band, or even where I got the record. All I can say for sure is that it has been a slow growing appreciation of this band since that time. After picking up the 7 inch collection pack a couple years ago, and reading that Doug had 22 pieces of vinyl for the band...I was itching to jump into the game. I'm barely out of the starting gate at this point, but picking up the gold vinyl pressing from the Excursion 7 inch, only fuels the record collector in me. I need more.

500 on gold vinyl with the gold foil stamped cover. Such a nice look...and at 99 cents on ebay, it was a nice price.

2 comments:

Mark-Sandwell said...

I had a spell in the early 00's where I was mainly into hip hop.Some good stuff about back then though.Glad to say SlipKnot and limp biscuit were never on my radar though.

Mike said...

That music was clearly an influence of who I was hanging out with at the time. I still enjoy it for the nostalgia, but I really stay away from any new music that falls into those similar musical styles.