Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Written Off / Out Crowd

I don't get out for shows very often anymore. Finding the time and energy to get out doesn't come easy these days. However, when I heard that there was going to be a small show in Boston recently, surprisingly I found myself excited to go. The bill was full of newer Straight Edge bands. I wasn't too familiar with any of them, but the thought of checking out some new bands seemed like a great way to spend a Saturday night. I'd heard Better Times and Enough, and was looking forward to checking out Caught In A Crowd and Written Off.

My brother decided that he'd tag along with me, so the two of us headed out for a two hour drive to Boston. Trying to find a place to park in Boston sucks, and after driving around for an hour looking for a spot, we got to the show late. They numbered our hands as we paid at the door...number 27 and 28...yeah, this was a SMALL show. I was glad that we made it out to show some support for the touring bands. We missed the first few bands, including Better Times. Enough were great live, but the crowd were pretty reserved. The sound for Written Off was terrible...either too much bass, or not enough vocals. I don't know, but I had a hard time hearing what the band was doing as it was pretty much a distorted mess. After Written Off had played, the church next door complained about the noise, and the show was put on hold for an hour so they could finish up their service. I wasn't looking forward to hanging around for an hour to check out one more 15 minute set, so we took off for the drive home. On the way out, I picked up a couple copies of the 7 inch that Written Off were selling.

Iron Mind Crew Records released the split 7 inch with Written Off and Out Crowd. This is a great record from a couple of up-and-coming bands. The Written Off side dominates this for me. I need to get my hands on the vinyl pressing of their demo.

Written Off were selling the red and white vinyl pressings for this split.

1 comment:

Dan Emery said...

That's so crazy that you drove out for this. I've never heard any of these bands before but this Written Off record looks pretty awesome, I will have to pick it up when I have money. Iron Mind Crew looks like a sweet new record label