Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Turnstile

It has been almost 30 years since I started getting wrapped up in music, and even now, I still get a charge out of finding new bands. I don't want to sit back and rely on the great music of the past. I want to feel the rush when something new moves me. Yes, I still find bands that can give me a sudden surge of adrenaline when a song starts...when that riff sinks it's hook into me...when that chorus has me screaming along from the driver seat of my car on the ride home from work. Music still matters. New music is still relevant.

I didn't really pay much attention to Turnstile when Reaper Records released their 7 inch, Pressure To Succeed, earlier this year. In fact, I didn't bother to check it out until a few weeks ago when I started thinking about putting together my 2011 recap. I downloaded it for the fuck of it, and soon found myself listening to the songs on this 7 inch daily. If Leeway was recording Born To Expire in the same studio when Mental was laying down their first couple of 7 inches, it would sound an awful lot like this record.

I could not get enough of this record, and knew that I needed to get a copy as soon as possible. The only problem was that Reaper was sold out of it, and I couldn't find a copy from my usual distros. I checked ebay, and still came up empty handed. Somehow, I stumbled upon some distro that I'd never heard of before, In Vinyl We Trust, and they had the record in stock. Psyched to finally find one, I didn't hesitate to order a copy.

830 pressed on blue vinyl.

1 comment:

Frances said...

One could only wonder if this band got its name from the security turnstiles which are usually found in business establishments.