Tuesday, July 19, 2011

True Gentleman

When I picked up the Blood Ceremony LP from Rise Above a few weeks back, the new Gentleman's Pistols album, At Her Majesty's Pleasure, had just been posted in the store as well. I didn't hesitate to grab a copy.

I clearly remember reading about Gentleman's Pistols on Marcus' blog back in 2008. Before going to bed that night, I checked them out on this website that was really popular at the time, called myspace. The songs were totally influenced by the late 60's and early 70's, and at the time I was completely falling in love with that time in rock history. As I lay there in bed that night, I had a hard time falling asleep because I had just stumbled upon this incredible new band playing a classic style.

The new Gentleman's Pistols album continues on with the same formula that I loved on the first album. The band just keeps on keepin' on...playing amazing guitar driven rock.

Oh yeah, my kids absolutely hated the album cover for At Her Majesty's Pleasure. They were interested to check out what I got in the mail, and when they saw the album cover, with the horse and lion heads on naked human bodies, my son reached up,slapped me in the face, and said it was disgusting. It kind of made me like the cover even more.


Rise Above Records typically does a limited deluxe vinyl version, called the Die Hard pressing, of the albums they release. They didn't do that for the Gentleman's Pistols LP, but they did to a pretty limited run of 100 on clear vinyl. I'm glad I got one when I did, because they are now long gone.



Sometime before the release of the LP, Rise Above also released a new single from Gentleman's Pistols. The 7 inch vinyl contains one song from the new album, plus an exclusive track called Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker. Worth it for that song alone. 400 pressed on black.

No comments: