Friday, July 22, 2011

The Last Rites Of Pentagram

My third, and final, post from my latest order from Rise Above Records.

Pentagram are a difficult band to follow historically. Since the band started up in the early 70's, they have gone through close to 30 different members, broke up and reformed a half a dozen times, and didn't release their first LP until 14 years after their formation. Total clusterfuck. Recently, vocalist Bobby Liebling, reunited with the guitarist from the band's first three albums, Victor Griffin. The result is Last Rites.

Now, other than the first album, I'm not really well versed in the past Pentagram output, so I can't say how the new album compares to their previous records. I can say, however, that this new album is some classic doom metal. It took me a little while to warm up to this record, but since I've been on a doom/stoner metal kick lately, this album is a perfect fit in the playlist rotation.

I'm not 100% sure on the pressing for this album. I bought this through Rise Above, but it is pressed by Metal Blade...I'm assuming the vinyl is limited to a Euro press, and that it only saw a CD release through Metal Blade in the states. What I do know is that they pressed a few different colors, 300 pressed of each color. I picked up the "caramel" colored version.

This album also came with a huge poster for the band's 40th anniversary tour...which will stay folded up and stored in the album sleeve and not see the light of day again, regardless of how cool it looks.

No comments: