Thursday, April 07, 2011

I'd Rather Be Sleeping

At some point in history, I must have bought something from Grave Mistake Records. I can't remember what it was, but it got me on their mailing list. A month or so ago, I got an email from them notifying me of their newest releases. One of these releases was a new LP from the band Deep Sleep. I recognized the name, but I'd never heard them before. Hey, pre-orders were going up for their new album, so it seemed like a good time to check them out to see if I was interested.

I did a quick search and found the band's first three 7 inches available for download. I grabbed the files and loaded them on to my ipod. The following day, I had to drop my car off at the garage to get a new battery. After leaving my car, I queued up Deep Sleep and threw my headphones on for the 10 minute walk from the garage back to the office.


As soon as I got to work, I jumped online and ordered the Deep Sleep LP and all three 7 inches. I've read a few things that compare the band's sound to the Descendents, but I don't really hear it. Deep Sleep kick out the jams with much more attitude and energy than the Descendents...but I've only listened to the Descendents about 10 times, so what do I know.


Grave Mistake had a package deal to pick up the three 7 inches with new LP, but it listed the 7 inches all on black vinyl. I wanted color vinyl, so I paid a couple extra bucks and ordered each record separately. I still ended up with black vinyl for the Paranoid Futures record. They sent me the tour pressing, so I don't mind. 125 on black vinyl with tour sleeve.


Manic Euphoria was released in 2008.


300 on orange vinyl for the second press. I love how Grave Mistake coordinated the colors for the vinyl and the record sleeve.


You're Screwed was released back in 2006.


Again, Grave Mistake coordinates the color of the vinyl with the record cover. I assume this is the third press for this record, but I'm not sure how many were pressed on red vinyl. The only problem with this one is the lyric sheet. It is so small! Even with my glasses on, I had a hard time reading it.


Finally we have the reason why I checked out this band in the first place, the Turn Me Off LP. Everything Deep Sleep have released up to this point has been great, straight up punk rock with a melodic edge. This album is no exception. If you haven't checked out this band, get on it!

White vinyl is limited to 300.

2 comments:

Mark-Sandwell said...

Great band.I've been bumping the LP a lot recently.

mcs said...

Seriously, you need to listen to Descedents. I only truly gave them a chance a couple of years ago but man, did I feel like a fool for ignorning them for like 18 years or something. Flawless output.