Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ten Inches Of Metal

I like Anthrax...they wouldn't make it into my Big Four of Thrash, but there was a time when they were well respected. They were on top of the world when Among The Living was released, but I remember rushing to the record store in 1988 to pick up State of Euphoria...I was so disappointed...Anthrax had turned into a cartoon. They gained a little respect back with Persistence of Time, but if I had to choose between their output with John Bush or Metallica's Load, Metallica would win. Bush was great with Armored Saint, but I have a hard time hanging with his Anthrax stuff. But it all started with Neil Turbin on vocals for Fistful of Metal in 1984...and while I could do without the cover of Alice Cooper's Eighteen, I probably reach for this album more than any of the others.

Megaforce released the 25th anniversary edition of Anthrax's first album, Fistful of Metal, in 2009. For some reason they added on the Armed and Dangerous EP as well. I was interested in buying it when it was released, but there were two things that made me shrug my shoulders and lose interest pretty quick. First, it was a triple 10 inch release. Uggg...there is something about a 10 inch record that turns me off. It's like it isn't a legitimate release. The second thing that made me lose interest was the price tag. $35.00? Ummm...no thanks.

However, after sitting on the record store shelf for almost two years, a 50% off tag will make me reconsider. $17.00? Yeah, I'd pay that.

The packaging on this is actually really well done. Cool die cut, fold out cover.

Nice looking triple red vinyl. The third record actually has an edge of clear vinyl. I love collages, and the gatefold on this, with the photos and old flyers is a nice touch. Shows with Metallica, Exciter, and Raven...damn, that would have been cool to see.

1 comment:

Onno said...

Persistence is great, plus I really like John's first album 'Sound of White Noise'. After that it's not that good until the last one, which kinda rocks again ('We've Come For You All').