Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Black and Red Hearts

Back in July, Bridge Nine announced that they were doing a 4th pressing of Have Heart's The Things We Carry. I don't really follow the prices for records that I own, but I guess that regular pressings of this album were pulling in between $40 and $60. Bridge Nine didn't want kids to pay through the nose to own this on vinyl, so they did another pressing. To keep things interesting, in addition to the regular press of 1,000, B9 also did a special pressing, limited to 100, on black vinyl. These were to be inserted, at random, into orders for the LP. I didn't need any extra push to purchase the re-press, but the chance to receive the special press made the decision to order immediately that much easier.

Much to my surprise, I received the more limited pressing. 100 on black vinyl. Thank you B9 for not making me track this down and pay over $100 for a copy down the road.

One of the cool things about this pressing is that it comes with the original gatefold sleeve. Damn, I'd forgotten how good this looks.


The reason that it has taken me so long to get this record up on the blog is that I've been missing the new pressing on red vinyl. After receiving the black vinyl, I figured that I had plenty of time to pick up a red copy, and planning on buying one the next time I placed an order. A couple months later, I find myself in the Bridge Nine webstore and the red vinyl is sold out. What the hell?! How do a 1,000 copies of a record from 2006 sell out in a few months? I panicked. I did not want to do the ebay search for this record. I skipped out of work, and took a 5 minute drive over to my local record store, Bull Moose Music, and was relieved to find that they had a copy in stock. Whew...crisis averted.

I love the look of this red vinyl. Out of the seven copies that I have of this record, the red vinyl looks the best.


Nerd note: apparently Bridge Nine started putting a barcode on the back cover with this newest pressing.

1 comment:

mcs said...

No doubt the red ones looks best because it is pressed on US vinyl rather than that crappy looking european stuff that the first pressing swirly colors are on.