Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bane BHC

I've said it before, but there was a time when I just wasn't interested in anything new that Bane released. While The Note still had a few amazing songs on it, the album as a whole just failed to really sink it's teeth into me and leave a mark. I guess that I kind of got bored with them. When they released a series of new 7 inches last year, I could have cared less. I wasn't paying attention, so I didn't really know what was going on. All I knew was that the record was released on a bunch of different labels from around the world, and titled from the city that they were released in...oh and there was something about the songs being named for soap operas. Meh.

So when it turned out that they were going to be playing the Triple B Showcase in October, I figured that I'd download some new songs to check them out before the show. I had downloaded the Boston EP, and was amazed at how good the songs were. Then when I had such a fun time during Bane's set that weekend, I stopped by their merch table and picked up the only piece of vinyl they had for sale...the Los Angeles EP.

The funny thing is that I had thought that the songs for the new 7 inch were the same for each release. I got home and listened to the Los Angeles EP, and soon realized that these were not the songs that I had downloaded. Turns out that there were 6 songs. Three on some of the releases, and another three on the others. Someone with the knowledge, please tell me that the Boston and Los Angeles EPs cover all the new songs. I find the whole thing confusing, and it hurts my brain to think about it.

The covers for the new Bane 7 inches are some of the ugliest that I've seen for a long time. I don't like the look of them at all. It reminds me of some cheesy page design that I would expect to see in some cheap photo scrapbook. When I picked up the Boston EP, I was struck that the band name wasn't even on the cover. It took me about 5 minutes to find it hidden in the design. Uggg.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah boston & la have all 6 songs
theres also rome & dublin that have three songs each and some cds which have all six songs

Tom said...

Yep, Boston and Dublin have the same 3 songs. LA and Rome have the same 3 songs. Curitiba, Perth, and Tokyo are CDs with all 6 songs, however, Tokyo has a seventh song. It has been pretty difficult trying to keep track of all of the vinyl releases...with special covers/versions and multiple pressings. All for just six songs...