Wednesday, November 03, 2010

New Age Continues...

Sure New Age takes a while to send out orders, but they have never ripped me off...and really, since I typically have so many records arriving in the mail, I don't mind the wait. Sure their mailorder makes me nervous, but they have always come through.

I love the new re-presses that New Age has been doing. In the early 90's, I was really starting to get into hardcore, straight edge and vegetarianism. Bands from New Age Records like Mouthpiece, Outspoken, and Strife were a huge influence on me. Somewhere along the way, these bands dropped out of my everyday playlist, but recent discographies from Outspoken and Mouthpiece, plus the re-issue of the first Strife 7 inch, has reintroduced me to these bands. To my surprise, I'm finding that they really stood the test of time. In fact I may like them more now than I did when they originally were released.
The newest re-issue from New Age is for Outspoken's A Light In The Dark LP. Somehow, I missed the 77 pressing when I placed this order...I'm sure that I didn't see it in the webstore at the time. I do see that New Age has it listed right now, so I'm going to have to place yet another order. There are 193 pressed on coke bottle clear vinyl with black streaks. Damn, this is a good looking piece of vinyl.

Blank b-side labels and stamped with "We Must Continue...". Nice touch. With the Conversion Records logo, and the Mission Viejo address, it looks like the label just had a bunch of old covers laying around that they used for this pressing. However, when I pulled out my original pressing, the first pressing covers had quite the slick sheen on them, where the new ones have more of a matte finish. Strange decision to reprint the album covers and not remove the Conversion logo and to keep the old address on there.

There are also 275 on orange "creamsicle" vinyl.

Again with the "We Must Continue..." stamp on the b-side label.

With this visit to the New Age store, I also decided to pick up a couple copies of the first Amendment 18 LP...back before they moved to Victory and shortened their name to just A18. The new pressing of this album is crazy limited. Only 55 were pressed on glow in the dark vinyl. The labels are plain black with A18 hand written by Isaac Golub.

New Age must have had a few pieces of solid green vinyl laying around from the first press, so they stuck them in a new silver sleeve, stuck a small sticker on the front and called it the 10th Anniversary press. Is it kind of cheap and thrown together? Yes. Do I care? No. It is limited to 48, and I have one. That is all that I care about. I've always enjoyed A18's two follow up albums to this one, but giving this a listen now, I'm really digging this.

1 comment:

mcs said...

Seems that your A18 LP with the silver sleeve came with the same spine creases as mine. Nice.