Thursday, July 29, 2010

Infinite Collection

I'm trying to break the CD habit. The main reason that I still buy CDs is out of convenience. Each day I pick a stack of 15 CDs and head out the door to work. I listen to CD's in the car, and on my stereo in my cube at work. This means that if I own it on vinyl, I've got to burn it to CD if I want to listen to it on the go.

I hate burned CDs. I'm a visual kind of guy, and when I'm surveying my walls of vinyl and CDs...when I'm admiring my shelves, the homemade burned CD's with their generic spines stand out as an eyesore. I hate the way they look...so plain and uninspiring. Which is why I will sometimes buy both the vinyl and the CD. Those days are coming to an end, and I'm counting on my new ipod to be my savior. I'm sure that this won't mean the complete death of CD's for me, but it will allow me to focus more on vinyl.

So with that said, I picked up the new Voivod LP, Infini, the other day. Where I typically bought most of my Metal purchases on CD, this time I didn't hesitate to pick up the vinyl copy. Of course, Infini is not nearly as good as Voivod's first four albums...hell, there is no way that Metal from 2009 is going to measure up to 1987, so there is no point in really comparing them, but still, Infini contains some great songs...God Phones and Volcano are both amazing. Solid album.

4 comments:

Doug W said...

A VoiVod fan too? Mike I think we should hang out. I realize we live 3000 miles apart but damn it would be fun to spin some Ripping Headache and discuss the merits of Away's drum style.

Mike said...

Damn, Doug. Champion, Whitesnake, and Voivod. It is nice to know someone has the same tastes as I do. I'm sure that we could burn a few hours going through each others record collection and talking about this shit.

Mazuhl said...

When you finally get around to putting all your CDs on your iPod, make sure you rip them in Apple's lossless audio format (ALAC). That way they'll last forever (whereas shitty sounding MP3s will NEVER sound good) and if you're burning them to CD you get CD-quality sound, not compressed, cruddy sounding music.

mcs said...

Apple lossless format is surely not a good choice. It may technically sound better, but I ripped one song in that format once and it cameout at like 40meg or something crazy. We don't all have like two hundred billion gig hard drives you know.