Friday, August 14, 2009

How Are You Going To Do It?

Do it Doggy Style! When my brother first got the Doggy Style cassette back in the late 80's, I had no idea what Straight Edge or positive hardcore was, but there was something about this album that spoke to me. I never really drank alcohol...didn't take my first drink until I was well out of High School...I just never really grasped the concept of drinking to have fun. But even back then, hearing songs like Straight or even the anti-drunk driving message in Enough, just really clicked with me. But what really got me was the positivity of songs like Be Strong and Side By Side. When I did a stupid little zine in the mid-90's, I named it Still Hope, after Doggy Style's song of the same name. It wasn't until years later, after being introduced to bands like Minor Threat and Youth of Today, that the message and mindset really took hold, but Doggy Style laid that foundation.
A month or so ago, Rob and I went down to Boston to catch Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine. The show was a good time which included some burlesque dancers for their version of Snoop Dog's Gin and Juice. Crazy stuff. Before the show, Rob and I stopped at Nuggets for some record and CD shopping. I only walked away with one piece of vinyl on this trip, and it was the Doggy Style Side By Side LP. This 1985 album is in mint condition and comes with a HUGE fold out lyric sheet. Awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donut Shop Rock is still one of the raddest songs ever. I know a lot of people like to rag on Doggy Style, but man I love 'em still. Nice find!

HUANSOAHN said...

hey man I have a question for you<.is it possible for you to rip the DT live at the showcas theatre 7" into mp3?I am searching for it for years and I really like to hear it!

cheers