Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Road To Hell Is Paved With Colored Vinyl

I've been wanting to expand my Slayer vinyl collection for a while now, so I was very excited to hear that Metal Blade was finally making the first four records available on vinyl again. I headed over to my local record store the day that they were to be released, and asked if they were planning on getting any in stock. The guy behind the counter checked the computer and said that their distributor had already sold out, and they would not be getting any in. I rushed back to work and jumped online to check Very Distro, and as luck would have it, they had some available. They were a little expensive at $24.00 a piece, but I still didn't hesitate to pick up Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits. It's a good thing too, because I just checked and they are now out of stock on both of these LPs. This is my first vinyl copy of Show No Mercy, and the vinyl looks beautiful. The red and black colors look amazing. I wish they did Hell Awaits with the similar style. Instead, the blood splattered gold vinyl is a picture disc, and not nearly as cool looking. I was hoping to pick up Haunting the Chapel and Live Undead this month, but here we are on the 11th, and I've already dropped way too much money on eBay, so I'll have to wait until another time to finish the collection of these new releases.


5 comments:

mcs said...

I saw Slayer once. Probably about 2003-04. A friend called me up saying he had a free ticket if i could drive him the hour's journey to the show. I've never been a Slayer fan but figured it would be fun to go. Hatebreed were supporting. I only caught two songs of theirs, but it was cool to see them play to an arena. Then Slayer played. They were pretty cool, although after 20 minutes I was bored. Finally Slipknot played. I watched a couple of songs & then decided it would be better to hit the road. The whole thing seems kinda surreal now I think about it...

Mike said...

The first time I saw them around '90 or '91...it was a small club, packed wall to wall with people...it was one of the few times that I was truly afraid for my life at a show. I thought for sure I was going to fall and get crushed under a wave of people.

AdRock said...

Hi Mike, clicked over from Last. I saw Slayer on the South of Heaven tour, it was fucking awesome. They played with Overkill and Motorhead--Slayer headlined, and Motorhead played second, which was kinda weird I thought--like if you were in concert, and your grandad opened for you.

Mike said...

Hey Adam, I'm not sure if you were in the Massachusetts area at that time, but the first show I saw them at was at The Channel in Boston. It was just before they released South of Heaven...shit was insane.

Lins87 said...

My first experience of Slayer was on the Reign In Blood tour in 86 at the Newcastle Mayfair with Malice in support. Possibly alongside seeing the Cro-mags a year later the most intense gig I have been to. Poor Malice were like lambs to the slaughter that night and the Slayer crowd was rabid to say the least. Subsequently saw them with Nuclear Assauly on the South Of Heaven Tour which was just as good. As for the records the red wax looks rad but the picture disc sucks...looks horrible!!!