Friday, February 09, 2007

That's Why It's Called Record "Collecting"

I don't know many people that really "get it". I was talking to my wife the other day about the Sabbath reunion tour with Dio, and I mentioned that they would be releasing a Best of Sabbath : The Dio Years CD. She replied, "Well you already have all the CD's, so you won't need to buy that one.". I told her that I thought that there was going to be a couple of unreleased new songs included, and she told me that I could just download or copy them from Jeff. Nope, I'll need to buy it. I am a collector. I am a completist. I need to own it.
I know that she would never understand this recent addition, and I'm sure she wouldn't be alone. My Black Sabbath addiction has not gone away, and my newest mission is collecting different pressings of the Master of Reality LP. I once saw a picture of someone's collection...about 30 different pressings of this record...I thought it was one of the coolest things I've seen. Such a great documentation of different pressings from across the world. Master Of Reality has always been one of my favorites from Sabbath, and was one of the first CD's that I ever bought from them. I got my first vinyl copy of this album up in Toronto, and then won the promo copy on eBay. It snowballed from there, and I recently got three more copies for the collection. First, I bought the clear vinyl pressing from Jeff for $10. It was released on Earmark Records, and Jeff hated the sound from this remaster so he sold it to me for cheap. After buying that one, I won a couple on eBay. The Japanese pressing is very cool with the OBI strip and special insert. That one was $26.00. The final copy that I got was the US pressing with the green label...only $4.00.
So, even though I know that not many people will understand this fascination, I'm having a good time with it.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

"Nope, I'll need to buy it. I am a collector. I am a completist. I need to own it."

Haha, i laughed pretty hard at this. I'm the same way with some records, i ussually don't have the money to fullfill my needs. But it gets pretty irrational sometimes, i can always justify it in my head, but i'm sure most people think its ridiculous.